We spent our Young Women activity this week at the Bowery Mission. An organization that helps the homeless. It has been around for 130 years and runs 100% off of donations.

We cut up onions, peppers, potatoes, watermelon and pastries. Tyler got stuck doing dishes....eew. The Bowery Mission serves about 1,000 people each day so you can imagine how much food there was to prepare (and dishes for poor Tyler). After that we served lunch! I learned some spanish..."arroz blanco o amarillo?", "pollo o carne?", "de nada!"
It was such a great experience. The workers were so religious, they had us pray before we started working, pray for the food and say another before we left. They truly understand that when we are in the service of our fellow beings, we are only in the service of our God. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have served the homeless of New York City.



2 thoughts:
What a great experience! Glad you got to have it. :)
You look so cute! I am so sad I missed that activity.
Post a Comment