Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Change is Good??

I don't really even know what to say in this post. There is no way to compose all of the emotions that have flooded us the last few weeks. We decided it was time to close the NYC chapter and open a new one in Utah. It was SO hard saying our goodbyes, to the city and the many fabulous friends we've made. We were lucky enough to have had a bunch of events in the last month where we could see a lot of the beautiful people we are blessed to call friends.

The Glass's were our best friends, family and neighbors. We spent a lot of time with them and LOVED being "honorary members" of their family. We stayed with them our last few days in NY and before we left we cheered on Jason and he ran the Hampton's Marathon. It was a great weekend and chance to spend time together. We love you Glass family!!

Before it was known that we would be leaving NY, Darrin planned a "Drakesters Unite" evening. He must have been inspired to plan this for the week before we moved. We got together with a lot of the past/current employees and interns from Drake Design. It was so wonderful seeing everyone. I have made some fabulous lifelong friends during my 2.5 years at DDA.

Morgan and I have been friends since my Jr. year in design school. A month before we moved she and her husband, Britton, moved to NYC (they moved to our same ward!). Talk about terrible timing! We would have loved to explore the city with these two. We were very thankful for the month that we did have to spend some time together at numerous design events/church/dinners etc.


We learned so much about the world, about ourselves, and about our marriage. It was a chance of a lifetime and will forever be a dearly cherished time in our lives.
This is not "goodbye NY", it is "see you later".

On to the fun adventures Utah will bring...

5 thoughts:

BreAnna said...

Whitney, I don't know if you remember me, I am Chelsea's SIL. I lived in Manhattan for 4 years and moved back last year. Let me just say in a few weeks when you can't figure out why you feel so lonely when all your family and friends are around, and you miss NY so much it physically hurts. It's normal. I would so love to go to lunch with you anytime, and chels, if you ever need to debrief and decompress. It is hard to leave, It was often so painful to me it took my breath away, as if I had been punched in the stomach. Sorry this is not so much of a happy comment and maybe your transition will be easier than mine, I hope it is, but if it's not, it's not just you. NY gets inside you, it pulses in your veins, it is like coming off crack :o) Good luck!

Morgan said...

You have the perfect attitude Whitney. Gratitude for your adventures and hope for the adventures in the future. You will be blessed for your leap of faith!

mb said...

ah! I can't believe you moved! I had no idea! Come visit often, lady!!

Diane said...

I have always said that you live a "charmed" life! Now that "charm" can be in Utah! Yea!

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

I can't believe you guys are gone! I wish we could have said "see you later". Good luck in your new adventure and you are welcome to stay with us if you come back to visit:)