It has been three years in the making. In 2009 we were visiting from New York and my parents suggested we go to the parade of homes and check out this fun community called Daybreak. I think it was the third house on our tour. As soon as we left I told Tyler that when we moved back to Utah, this is where we'd be living and in that house! I then became slightly obsessed, designing the whole thing and just living there in my mind. So upon our return to Utah we knew we had a baby on the way and Tyler had a new job to get so the house thing was on hold for a while. Once we were ready we began the pre-qualification process which was a nightmare because we are both 1099 employees and that doesn't really make anyone jump to finance us! But 4 months later we were pre-approved and ready! Our realtor had a bank owned home he wanted us to check out. It was a different model by the same builder so it was the style we wanted and a GREAT deal but after walking through it, it just wasn't our house. The house I had been "living" in the last 3 years. So we met with the builder and began the process of building our house!
We were so in love with the lot. It is in the neighborhood we wanted and steps away from a basketball court, tennis courts, community garden, playground, and a field of grass directly in front of us so we'll never have another house to stare at. We were thrilled and wanted to show it off to my family. Three days after we signed the construction docs we took them to see it and there was already a hole!!
Even though it was winter, they worked so fast! Every time we went to check it out, there was lots of progress. It was very exciting and pleasantly stress-free. I have heard that building a home is in the top 3 most stressful things in life. We are very grateful for the organized, enjoyable experience.
Closing was a nightmare. The underwriter on our file was a Nazi!! So after the longest week of my entire life, we had our keys and moved into OUR HOME! yahoo!
For the next week or so we were unloading box after box after box and the poor boy was left to entertain himself a lot of the time. Our main floor is very open and the only door frame for his Johnny Jump-Up was the coat closet ha! He would bounce part of the day, play in boxes, explore the cupboards and his favorite...check out the bathtub. It's like the kid had never seen a bathtub before, he was fascinated!
I had quite the project list once the house was ours. We spent days painting, putting together furniture, getting the front door sandblasted, installing backsplash, getting security installed, and more painting. It was wild and I can't believe we got it all done as fast as we did. Tyler is very happy the honey-do-list is complete...for now!

Here's a sneak peek at what we've done so far. It's sort of a theme throughout our house to have a neutralish envelope with with fun colors in the furnishings. Now we have to be patient until the dollar signs match my big plans! :)
This home is just perfect for our family. Every minute we've been here has lived up to all we imagined the last 3 years. Here's to many years of happiness ahead!!








7 thoughts:
Congrats on the new home. I am very happy for you and your family. I am sure it will produce tons of wonderful memories.
Whitney! I am LOVING the house! I love the style of everything.. inside and out! Congrats! I'm jealous :)
Oh my gosh dear! I LOVE it! It looks amazing, fun, and totally you!! :) I can't wait to see it in person. When you get back, we need to get together. LOVE YOU.
Love love love the new kitchen! Love the color sceme throughout the house and the already finished plans. Can't wait to see your home when you get back- I'm sure there will be lots of improvements then too! ;)
I've heard so much about this house! Congrats, that is so exciting! I'd love to come by and see it. I love your style!
my favorite pic is the one with the lil guy looking into the bath tub! So cute!
Congrats what a darling house I"m so happy for you!
Post a Comment